Our legal assistance ranges from advice or brief service to ongoing representation in negotiations and litigation in state and federal courts and administrative agencies, depending on the needs of the client, the type of case, and available resources.
The most common legal problems handled by Blue Ridge Legal Services include:
- Family disputes (for example, domestic violence, divorce)
- Problems dealing with debts and bankruptcy
- Housing and landlord-tenant disputes
- Eligibility for various government benefits (such as food stamps, TANF, and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits)
- Access to health care (for example, issues involving Medicaid and Medicare)
- Consumer disputes, and
- Issues affecting seniors (such as exploitation and problems with nursing homes).
We do not handle criminal matters, traffic violations, personal injuries or malpractice cases and other cases outside of our priorities. (If you need assistance with such issues, please contact the Virginia State Bar’s Lawyer Referral Service at (800) 552-7977 or click on the link to read more about services offered by the Virginia State Bar.)
We reserve the right to decline representation in a particular matter based on priorities established by our Board of Directors, existing caseloads, ethical considerations, and the merits of the case itself.